Wednesday, June 17, 2009

How it all began....

Randy and I were married on April 14, 2007. As the old saying goes, it was a perfect day. It really was a wonderful day. In fact, it was almost surreal. I married my best friend and was lucky enough to be surrounded by all of the most important people in my life.

In the fall of that same year, we starting talking about children. We both really wanted a big family one day, and so the "timing" discussion ensued. We both had great jobs, had a nice home, and had done a lot of traveling. In fact, we had done A LOT of traveling. We had been to Vegas, Hawaii, Jamaica and New York City together to name a few. It seemed like a pretty decent time to have a baby. After all, if we wanted a big family, we surely weren't getting any younger. I just had one small problem with this plan. I was supposed to be in one of my best friend's weddings in October of 2008. Surely I didn't want to be ginormuosly pregnant and in a bridesmaid's dress. I decided to try and wait to get pregnant until early summer of 2008. That way, I'd be pregnant for the wedding, but not HUGELY pregnant. So that was that, we had a plan in place.

Fast forward to March 2008. I had a nagging suspicion that I was pregnant. After a week or so of secretly wondering, I decided to take the plunge. I sheepishly made my way to the local Walgreens and bought a test. For some reason, I couldn't even make eye contact with the lady at the checkout. What was my problem? I was 28. I guess I'll never know. Once I got home, I immediately peed on the stick. I was so nervous, I had to leave the room for the two minutes it took for the little stick to process my results. I waited the two minutes sitting anxiously on bed. That two minutes seemed to take forever! After the longest two minutes ever, I slowly made my way to the bathroom. Sure enough, I had two lines.

I was surprised by my lack of reaction to the news. I was simply shocked. Not overly happy, not particularily sad, just shocked. Randy was at his bowling league. A lot of thoughts were running through my head. How was I going to spring this on him? Should I wrap up a pair of cute little baby booties and attach a crafty little note? Maybe bake a cake and write "Congrats Daddy" on it. Well as I sat there daydreaming of creative ways to tell my husband he was going to be a daddy again (for those that don't know, Randy has a 13 year old daughter named Shiloh), I decided to go to the bowling alley. I sat there watching him bowl with a perma-grin on my face. I just couldn't stop smiling. He kept asking me what was going on. "Nothing" I'd reply, with the perma-grin still on my face. After about a half hour I cracked. "I'm pregnant," I whispered in his ear. So much for the cute and creative approach, I just told him in the bowling alley. He pretty much had the same reaction I that I had had a few hours earlier. Pure shock. I don't really know why we were so shocked, we'd kind of been trying.

The shock quickly turned to unbridled excitemen and joy. I set up our first ultrasound for March 27, Randy's birthday. I thought "seeing" his baby for the first time would be a cool birthday gift. We went to the ultrasound as excited as can be. We were holding hands, smiling ear to ear as the ultrasound started. The ultrasound tech could tell how excited we were. She started the scan and looked at us and said, " Are you ready to meet your baby or babies?" Randy and I said nothing. "Here is Baby A and here is Baby B" the lady said. WHAT!!! "Does that mean we have twins?!!" We both cried. The ultrasound lady was so excited. She proceeded to tell us how this was her favorite part of the job. After a few minutes the lady asked us,"you're crying because you are happy right?" Umm, no... not so much. I remember thinking I do NOT want to push out two babies. I guess I must have said this out loud at some point, because the ultrasound lady told me "Oh honey don't worry, you don't have to push them out if you don't want to." Okay, that makes it a little better I guess. It's funny the things we fixate on isn't it? Randy quickly regained his composure. Not me, I cried the entire one hour appointment. By the end of the appointment, I was beginning to get a LITTLE excited, but mostly still just terrified.

The pregnancy went off without much excitement. The boys were born on October 16, 2008 via C-section. Randy weighed 5lbs 14 oz and Reece 5lbs 10 oz. They were absolutely perfect.

I never did make it to that wedding, though judging by the pictures it was a beautiful. However, I can't complain too much because I did end up with my Big Beasties.....I can honestly say, I love them more than I ever dreamt possible.

Reece on the left, Randy on right

P.S. I should note that the nuc in the picture is normal sized. The boys were just that tiny!!

No comments:

Post a Comment